Tuesday, February 20, 2007

State of Grace DVD Review


An Irish gangsta flick (1990) that I’ve never seen until today. It’s about an undercover cop(Sean Penn) who comes back to his old Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood to spy on his old gang, which includes his best friend ( Gary Oldman) and the boss (Ed Harris) but gets in too deep and questions his job.
Now, at the beginning I thought Gary Oldman and Sean Penn were overacting but by the middle of the movie they are really good, especially the crazy character of Oldman; and I do mean crazy (doesn’t he look like a gangsta version of the kid from Ferris Bueller). He’s a livewire nut. Turturro also makes an appearance as the cop above Sean Penn’s character. He does a good job also and seems completely comfortable in his character. Ed Harris is great as always. Robin Wright plays Pen’s love interest. To me, her character was weird and annoying but I think the ladies will appreciate her involvement. Anyway, Its a cool movie overall and you’ll get caught in the intensity at times.

Favorite Scenes : Gary Oldman spinning around “See!See!”;
When they’re about to do the big hit on the Mob boss; the shootout at the end was put together pretty well; Gary Oldman crosses the line with the mob’s crew when they invite him to sit with them; when they find out Penn’s character is a cop; “Don't be asking him he's fuckin' retarded! Sorry, no offence... but you are, okay? “

What Sucked? : Even though Oldman did his thing, his overacting at times was annoying to me. Robin Wright’s character annoyed me sometimes with her fits.

Bonus Features : Crap. They were none, just a lame ass trailer

Rating : 3 1/2 Clovers

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for reviewing this! It's one of my favourite movies. I agreed with your comments; Robin Wright Penn's character annoyed me a bit, too. Nice review :)

February 20, 2007 at 5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home